A natural outgrowth and expansion for the continuation of the highly successful Dr. Betty Shabaaz Delta Academy: Catching the Dreams of Tomorrow, Delta Gems was created to catch the dreams of African American at-risk, adolescent girls aged 14-18. Delta GEMS provides the frame work to actualize those dreams through the performance of specific tasks that develop a CAN DO attitude. The goals for Delta GEMS are:
The Delta GEMS framework is composed of five major components(Scholarship, Sisterhood, Show Me the Money, Service, and Infinitely Complete), forming a road map for college and career planning. Topics within the five major components are designed to provide interactive lessons and activities that provide opportunities for self-reflection and individual growth.
Delta GEMS, like Delta Academy, is implemented by chapters of Delta Sigma Theta.
The Dover Alumane Chapter GEMS have been involved in the following:
- To instill the need to excel academically;
- To provide tools that enable girls to sharpen and enhance their skills to achieve high levels of academic success;
- To assist girls in proper goal setting and planning for their futures high school and beyond; and
- To create compassionate, caring, and community minded young women by actively involving them in service learning and community service opportunities.
- 4 year winner of DSU Homecoming Parade Drill/Step Team
- Domestic Violence Awareness 5k walk
- DART - Food Bank of Delaware "Stuff the Bus"
- Salvation Army Bell Ringing
- FAFSA and College Night information for parents & students
- Spring College Tour
- Public Service - Pre-Thanksgiving Dinner prep for the less fortunate
- Senior GEMS Debutante Presentation
- Click below for the GEMS application
- Scholarship Dinner
View or Print PDF